Monday, January 1, 2018

TBH: This is So Awkward


















Not even sure if anyone ever reads this blog.  It has definitely evolved over time.  Honestly my primary purpose for doing it is to keep track of my own reading for the Maine Student Book Award committee.  We read current titles for grades 4 - 8.  We have a big meeting in 3 weeks to create the shortlist and then meet in March for the final list.  I read A LOT!  Lately I have been reading eBooks for 30 min every morning on my elliptical (2 birds) - these are books I request (hoard) from NetGalley and Edelweiss.  I actually don't really like eBooks but it is convenient for while exercising, traveling, or floating in the pond during the summer.  Once I get almost done with an eBook I usually finish it during the day.  The physical books I read are from publishers and books I have gotten from my local library.

So where am I now?  I have finished all the 2017 eBooks from NetGalley and Edelweiss.  I actually still have a few that I had requested but have physical copies and will be reading them in the next week.  I would say there are 60 books that no one on my committee has read that have been sent by publishers.  TBH - they are either too young, too old, or something else about them speaks nah to me.  I have a few in my pile that I may get to, plus 3 coming from Amazon and another from the library.  Yes, I have no life - sleep, read, work, read, repeat.

Anyway - this book is my first 2018 book.  This book featured 3 BFFs - Cecily, Gabbie, and Prianka and is told mainly through text messages with a few memos, emails, and handwritten notes added in.  It is primarily a middle grade - best friends, crushes, homework - story but using text messages highlights the social media and cyberbullying aspect.  The primary issue is a new student Victoria who they are mainly ignoring in their texts.  

I saw the conflict coming - heck, I teach digital citizenship - but students may not.  TBH - I don't think this is worthy of being on the MSBA list - a bit too sparse and fluffy - but my students will eat it up and I can't wait to have it on my shelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment